kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Force feeding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ]

Posted by Pierson on May 03, 2002 at 23:25:54:

In Reply to: Force feeding posted by PatrickR on May 03, 2002 at 21:47:54:

You'll want to feed something relatively small but something big enough to be of some sustenance. An adult mouse is about right for an adult caochwhip. Firmly grab the snake behind the head. I place the mouse on top of a credit card and, holding both in one hand, use the credit card pry open the snake's mouth. You can then slide the mouse of the credit card into the snakes mouth. You may have to continue pushing open the mouth using the mouse. Once the mouse is in the snake's mouth quiclky grab a thin, blunt instrument (I use the butt end of a pencil) and use it to slowly push the mouse into the snakes throat. You'll have to loosen your grip behind its head to let the mouse pass through. Continue pushing until the mouse is several inches down the snakes neck. I gently plcae the snake back in its cage at this time and watch it. If it begins to regurge then I grab the snake and massage the mouse farther down the snake's esophagus. Eventually it will swallow the mouse. Some people have success with simply shoving the mouse in the snake's mouth and putting it back in its cage where it will be swallowed. I've never had this luck. Good luck and remember that force feeding is a last resort. Check your husbandry practices to make sure there isn't something you can do to avoid force feeding. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ]