return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Coachwhip story

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on October 08, 2000 at 14:13:09:

Thought some of you might be interested in this tale from my youth, this must have been about 1966.
I used to go riding around the oil fields near Sundown, Texas with my uncle, who worked there. One day we saw a large coachwhip in the middle of a dirt road. I was never afraid of snakes, and my uncle stopped the truck so I could "run and catch it". The snake started off in the direction of a thick clump of mesquite, and I ran ahead of it in an attempt to intercept it. When our paths met, the snake came up off the ground on the low weeds. Before I knew it that snake was literally in my face, his long, lean head wide open! I quickly hopped to one side, the snake dove into the mesquite thicket, and that was the end of that. My uncle laughed for the rest of the afternoon.
I have kept a lot of different native snakes over the years, but never a coachwhip. I caught a baby one a month or so ago and brought it home to show my wife. She decided it was "cute", to my surprise. So I whipped together a cage and the little guy is doing fine on pinkies. He has tamed down a lot and will let me hold him without biting. He is quite different from snakes I have kept in the past in that he is very alert and keen to what is going on around him. I say "he", but don't know what sex it is.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]