return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Establish a "system" for locating Col/Mast/Drymob for sale?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt on June 17, 2000 at 14:14:41:

OK, I'll quit with this last post, hehe; don't want to come across as overly-obnoxious my first day here! I am wondering about the following: Would it be wise to have a means for "passing along" to other Col/Mast/Drymob fans sites that have these snakes for sale? I was struck when reading a message way down at the bottom of this Forum page about Speckled Racers, and their availability. The responses were, basically, that they aren't seen for sale, etc. I have, in my (hopeless, hehe) attempts to find CB/CH Col/Mast species, come across quite a few Speckled Racers for sale at various, out-of-the-way herp dealer's sites. I found myself having to painfully ignore these, as I think they are incredible snakes that should definitely be bred in captivity, for all of the usual good reasons. However, I just found this Forum, which is, naturally, the best place to pass along info such as this to someone that might want them (I just am not in a position to be breeding snakes at the present). I also thought of this earlier when passing along that Glades Herp has (or had) Southern Black Racer hatchlings for sale, that they incubated themselves. This is an extremely rare find (I have found, hehe), CH Coluber sp., and it would, I am certain, be of some interest to at least some of the Forum Regulars here. Glades Herp (www.gherp.com) also had a Buttermilk Racer for sale, which they described as "pretty and docile", for $35.00. I have NEVER seen a Buttermilk Racer (C.c. anthicus) for sale before; wouldn't it be wise to try and put it in the hands of someone that just might start some captive breeding efforts with it? So, in summation (hehe), sorry for rambling again, but I just thought there should be an organized manner for passing along "finds" such as the ones I have mentioned to the people who are most likely to give these animals good homes and, hopefully, to use them for some captive breeding and help stop the useless, wasteful cycle of continually selling these wild-caught snakes, as (basically) none of them get used to establish captive-breeding populations. OK, I'm done now; does this sound like a reasonable suggestion? (I hope I'm not coming across as the "new guy that thinks he can do it all better than the rest", hehe; I'm just very much into these incredible snakes, and want to do what I can to help the situation!). Thanks for hearing me out. Peace... Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]