return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Do Racers chase you?? ...I believe so...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jc on May 05, 2000 at 09:32:07:

Last Sunday, I was walking on the sidewalk beside my yard when I saw a snake about 10' away or so. Well, before I really knew what happened this snake jolted up some rocks and crossed right over my feet. I mean, the snake WAS about 10' away and before I knew it it was right on my feet. Now I had kept walking when I first saw the snake (it hadn't registered in my mind to catch it yet) so the racer started heading in the other direction. I quickly ran a couple of feet and grabbed the Northern racer (I think) by the tail and as soon as I did it raised up and damned near bit my nose off. After a couple more near misses at my nose, the guy calmned down a bit and I could see that he was about 4' in length and had a really nice light blue belly. I keep snakes/lizard, etc and had no need for a nose biting racer so I let it go into these rocks. It was very ironic because I just had been on a snake hunt the day before and didn't have any luck and then I catch one in my front yard. Also ironic is that on
Friday I visited this Racer forum for the first time and read where racers will attempt to bite at your face. Had I not read this post in the forum here, I may very well have a scratchy nose to go along with my story. but as it is, the little guy just nabbed me a few times on my hand and that was that. Also ironic was the fact that the previous week, a friend of mine and I got into a "discussion" as to whether racers will chase a person...of course, I said that I didn't believe they would but now I tend to think that all of these stories about people being chased are true. I wish I would've thought to run from this racer to see if it would've chased after me.

jc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]