kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Scale problems/Blood python

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by cutlass1972 on May 12, 2003 at 08:53:42:

In Reply to: Scale problems/Blood python posted by Tormato on May 11, 2003 at 03:00:18:

I bought an ultrasonic humidifier and put it on a ranco humidistat. My substrate is never wet and my humidity stays at about 75% DEFFINATLY the way to go! I bought one of the big ones (1 gal capacity) I only fill it up once a week and use pvc to pipe the moisture in.

:They say that Bloods get dermetitis if the substrate is too wet, or constantly damp. At first, I would mist the cage and the ground would have to get wet, naturally. Now I have a bigger bowl with more sphagnum moss than before, so I dont have to spray as often. For some reason, the baby blood stopped going in her hidebox, and liked to burrow in the moss. Seeing as the moss is constantly damp, she constantly subjects herself to scale rot, no? I can't control what she does, but it seems like there is no winning. Shes got a couple of 'rusty' looking spots on her belly. I apply polysporin daily along with some betadine soaks regularly. I can tell shes going to shed in a couple days, and I'm just waiting to see if it will come off. Any ideas on how I can keep the cage humid without her getting these scale problems?

:I had a Ball that did nothing but soak. He lived in his water dish, yet he never, ever had scale problems. Whats going on? Is this deeper than too much moisture? I was looking to buy a mister; the ad says the water droplets are "so fine it flows on the air". Does that mean the ground wont get wet, yet it will keep humidity?

:Finally, when I take the sumatran blood out for more than two minutes, she starts to dry out. Her scales just get kinda dry. Not flaky, but like she needs moisture 24/7. Is this normal? Im just concerned for this poor guy-I dont want her to be uncomfortable in anyway. She has a wonderful feeding response and doesnt SEEM to be stressed, but how can I know? Sorry about the long winded post, but any help would be wonderful.
:Thanks

:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]