kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree and disagree...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by KLG on May 08, 2003 at 20:45:42:

In Reply to: I actually agree with this 100%,....more posted by BrianSmith on May 08, 2003 at 18:37:22:

I don't feel that it's a statement that can be made across the board regarding all "big breeding facilities." They didn't get big & stay big by selling inferior animals. Sure, it makes sense to think that a smaller breeder focusing on just a few animals would give great quality and service, but I've seen small breeders who "specialized" turn out subpar animals as well. Quality is quality no matter the source.

Maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I've also had the opportunity to experience both sides of this "argument."

Either way, just my $.02...

KLG

:It's true,. most big breeders don't put the individual time and effort into their snakes as those that breed smaller numbers of exclusive species. The reasons should be obvious,.... just plain more to do with the same amount of time in the day,.... fewer select projects so efforts are divided,.... etc etc. I personally will make every effort to never allow this to happen as the number of my breeders increases, but in order to do this I certainly have to reach a point where the number cannot increase beyond what I can mentally keep track of and physically maintain in optimum conditions. I will have to respect my limits and not allow the snakes to suffer as a result of underestimating them.

:
::I don't speak fact...only oppinion and my experience has been receiving animals of not the best quality from large facilities...no reason to name drop. Private breeders might be the wrong phrase...how about small scale breeder which has more time to invest in each animal. Thus resulting in a healthier, cleaner, more socialized animal.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]