kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: need advice on lenses

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Photography Forum ]

Posted by brad wilson on April 08, 2003 at 08:26:39:

In Reply to: need advice on lenses posted by Tenaka on April 07, 2003 at 19:18:12:

Short answer: Yes, you'll need a dedicated macro lens or a zoom lens with a macro option.

I recently bought a used Phoenix 100mm macro lense for $60, and optically it is a very good lens. I'll post a shot of an emerald swift that I did with the Phoenix lens on a Nikon n90s. I used Fuji 400 color film and scanned the negative.

I also used the lens to take photos at a protest recently. Worked very well for that.

But the lens is very lightweight and plastic. I'm fairly careful with my equipment and don't worry much about breaking the lens.

BTW, the lens will give you half life-size as is, or life-size with an included screw-on lens. The emerald shot was done without the add-on lens.

I believe this is the same lens that is sold under the Vivitar and Cosina labels. Sells new for around $130-$150 from online sources last time I looked.

Also, if you have a decent camera store near you (not one of the chain stores like Wolf), they might have a used lens section where you could pick up a good Minolta macro or even a cut-rate Phoenix/Vivitar.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Photography Forum ]