kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I have raised painted hatchlings...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Painted Turtle Forum ]

Posted by PHKiwi on May 12, 2003 at 18:25:09:

In Reply to: Is this hatchling a painted? If so what kind? posted by Ladybug104c on May 12, 2003 at 12:36:59:

You will need a bigger tank but the ten gallon is okay for now. Invest in the best reptile full spectrum UV bulb that you can buy for him. Babies like the turtle pellets or sticks, and are mostly carniverous, eating tiny meat chunks and small worms or chopped worms. You may try feeding in a separate tank to keep the water clean. This baby doesn't need deep water, but enough to dive down into, but low enough so that he/she can stand and stick its head out of the water. A rock or basking shelf is good.

Beware of filtration, many babies get stuck in the tubes so cover the opening with screen.

Let us know if you have other questions.

:He sure is a painted. Someone else would have to tell you what kind though. He's so small I can't tell. Anyway he will need a bigger tank that a 10 gal because he will grow right out of that one. He also needs more water. Make him a shelf to bask on and that way there can be more deep water. Sorry I could not be of more help but I hope this holds you over till someone else can help better.
:The basking light was a great idea most people don't know about that part.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Painted Turtle Forum ]