kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

baby painted missing front leg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Painted Turtle Forum ]

Posted by turtlecrazed on May 06, 2003 at 09:38:53:

In Reply to: baby painted missing front leg posted by bloomindaedalus on May 02, 2003 at 18:12:25:

I won't add much to what has already been said, theough I will offer you some encouragement.

A year ago tomorrow, I came across a raided nest of painted turtles. There was on survivor stuck in the mud baking in the sun and barely alive. At closer inspection, I noticed he was missing a leg. He was limp, lifeless and as close to death as you can get.

His shell was warped and mushy, his yolk sac had been ruptured and he couldn't swim. Needless to say, he was critically injured and I didn't think he'd make it thru the first night. I just wanted to make him as comfortable as possible.

Well,here we are celebrating his first birthday (tomorrow) and he's a strong, healthy guy. In this one year, he's grown to 2 1/2 inches and now has a nice hard shell and swims well with his missing leg. He's a fighter, and loves every minute of life.

Good luck with your little one. They are amazing.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Painted Turtle Forum ]