kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

We've felt a terrible loss here.....long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jif on June 01, 2001 at 22:12:45:

Farewell to Foster

Last evening Foster surrendered his reign as bad boy iguana in our household by surrendering to illness. I don’t know if it was lack of strength or lack of will that prevented him from surviving this final battle.

Foster was the second iguana to enter into my life. I considered him a rescue even though I had to purchase him. My daughter and I found him in a pet store, all of 28 inches and 1 pound, thin and freckled with spots of fungus. Stephanie insisted that we couldn’t leave him there so I convinced the owner to part with him for $25. We got him home, cleaned him up, and eventually introduced him to Thelma, my large female. She accepted him immediately and they haven’t been separated since.....until now.

Foster was always headstrong and courageous. He came out on the losing end of fights with both Zig and Charlie but never backed down and wore his battle scars proudly. He was the one to give me my only fairly serious ig bite yet most of the time he was a gentle, easy to live with lizard. He survived being trapped in a brick fireplace wall for 3 weeks. He finally figured out how to make his way to a hole we had created in the end of the wall and emerged dusty, cool, and very hungry. He also inspired a phrase that we use here when dealing with unruly lizards. Early in his treatment he was a bit belligerent and sometimes I had to grasp him firmly and hold him against my body, belly facing out. Ever since we’ve called this holding technique the “Foster Hold”.

Foster was a freeroaming iguana for his last 9 months and would frequently come down from his favorite basking spot, make the rounds, and check out any male rescues that happened to be in residence. He would give each one a couple of “I’m the Boss” bobs with that beautiful sky blue head and then head to the highest perch to keep watch on his kingdom.

I’m very grateful for the 4 years that my life was blessed by Foster’s presence. Thelma, Foster and I lived and learned a lot together. We will miss him terribly. I love you, Foster.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]