kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: trouble catching guppy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]

Posted by michael56 on February 02, 2003 at 14:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: trouble catching guppy posted by PiersonH on February 01, 2003 at 11:15:09:

I also feed my young snakes in shallow water, though I use their regular "pools" to do so. The larger nerodia are generally hand fed.
Now these are personal observations only ... my red, yellow and floridas swim about their pools with mouths open and scoop the fish when they come in contact, almost as though they can't see underwater(?). The young browns will also do this but they also spend more time submerged, flicking their tongues to search for fish then lunge with mouths agape to grab one.
Scent, whether in the air or water also appears to be a significant factor since switching food types from trout to goldfish to "prepared" foods seems to cause the snakes to pause either due to not recognising the item or trying to determine the "risk". Once familiar with one food odour, it takes time to adjust to another. The younger snakes show this more intensely. The older snakes adjust more quickly to the point where, the red belly for example takes 5 seconds to react to and take trout or 10 seconds for prepared food. However if the next feeding is the same food it is taken without hesitation.
Also, all of my/the snakes will accept or hunt for a specific range of food sizes, under this (selected) size they show no interest. Over this size they will attempt to take it, this should not be allowed - more smaller, none too big!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]