kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Here's a brief care "sheet"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on May 15, 2003 at 07:19:12:

In Reply to: Croc care sheets posted by smaug on May 14, 2003 at 18:24:27:

First, are saying that a large (or even young) croc monitor will be able to subsist on an insect diet? If so, I disagree. What I would agree with you is that they should have variety in their diet. Our croc monitors are offered various whole rodents (mice, rats, and even rabbit) and birds (primarily quail) with quality vitamin supplementation. Our hatchlings do enjoy chasing crickets and they do eat their fair share of them but for maximum growth and health, their primary diet (even at a young age) are rodents and birds. I do agree with your assessment on caging requirements. We are currently building a new exhibit with Habitat Systems that will feature:
- cage, for each individual croc, will measure approx. 16' wide x 6' deep x 8' high
- misting system
- radiant heat panels AND power sun bulbs
- full spectrum lighting via two banks of 48" uv bulbs
- completely naturalistic set up including a small tree with many branches, vines, etc., water fall, rock work, and a deep layer of natural substrate (soil/bark mulch for digging)
- all heaters will be on thermostats and lights osn automated timers
- the back rock wall will have a cutout out window to allow natural light to come in from the east window so this cage will be exceptionally well lighted.

In terms of temps, we provide a basking spot that reaches 135 deg F. with the remainder of the cage ranging from the upper 70's (in the coolest area) to the mid to upper 80's throughout the cage. Obviously, as the lizard approaches the heat sources, ambient temperatures are much higher thus creating an optimal thermal gradient. These lizards enjoy a good soak so we provide a large, shallow water basin and it is used quite a bit. Hope this helps.

:I have never seen an updated or complete care sheet for Croc monitors mostly because anyone who is seriouslly considering a croc monitor should be an advanced enough keeper to gain little value from one.

:That being said, I would recommend you start with a good care sheet on a generalist indo species such as a water monitor (proexotics.com has a great one) and modify to suit the aboreal nature of the animal which means you need a taller cage with more high climbing spaces, and hide areas, as well perhaps modifying the diet to include more insects, although many croc keepers here may argue that you can raise them on a whole rodent diet.

:-Nick

:
::Anyone know where I can find a good care sheet on crocs? Something that will tell me about diet, temps, & general husbandry?

::Thanks!
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]