kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Actually

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by DK on May 09, 2003 at 19:30:36:

In Reply to: Actually posted by pepijn on May 09, 2003 at 14:41:15:

the average adult male lace monitor would be around 1.7 metres (perhaps a bit more, especially with captives) which, given their proportionally longer tail, is smaller than a similar length ornate or salvator. A 2 metre lace monitor is very uncommon. I hear about them all of the time, but when a tape measure is applied they usually fall well short of that length. People unfamiliar with reptiles often tell me about the ten foot long lace goannas they have seen in the bush, but that's because even a 1.7 metre animal out in the wild looks huge compared to the garden skinks, blue tongues and water dragons one normally sees.

:I think we agree more then it seems. Offcourse I know that there will be people that will be able to care for them. And as a private keeper I know I'm more involved with my animals well being as a zoo can ever provide (since they are with far fewer staff per animal then I am). Still I was under the impression that the avergare growth potential of Crocs and Lacies was about 2 - 2.5 meters and not the 1.5 - 2 meters a ornate has. Still I am under the impression ( I might be completely wrong) that to much private keepers want a big ass monitor cause it's cool, and they will either end up hurt or with a dead animal... That was the basic idea of my post.. I love Salvadorii, and may be once when I have more room I will try to get one or two.. but first my housing and salary must improve, cause I'm allready crowded by two 4 footers Ornates on the grow , a Panotpes that's still juvenile and 4 adult iguannas..:)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]