kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some Savannah questions. Again. :) Sorry. lol.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by pepijn on May 03, 2003 at 13:06:36:

In Reply to: Some Savannah questions. Again. :) Sorry. lol. posted by The_Reptile_Boy on May 03, 2003 at 05:16:30:

Lateral rinkles of skin are comon in monitors as far as I'm aware. The skin is tight if they have eaten a lot, but not constantly.. If the monitor is dehydrated it shows different signs the lateral rinkles. The skin looks dull (even in a sav it shows up) and basically the monitor appears to be made of paper and easy to break in two. Soaking it in a bath is never a bad thing, but not daily. The reason it wants to flee can be many, maybe it's affraid of you, maybe it doesn't want/need to soak, maybe the water is not warm enough/to warm etc.

To soak my animals I use large water supplies in the encloser. They use them if they like (you will however need to change the water daily at least).

Basically if the monitor eats okay (in other words doesn't stop eating when food is provided) and has a bowl of water enough for it to soak in (and clean) and the temps are right, I wouldn't worry that much over size, wrinkles or dehydration. And if uncertain, keep in close contact with your vet.

What is the monitors age? I know that with me, younger monitors tend to have "loose skin".. This I tend to relate to the fact that they really eat bulges at a time, and need to grow... as with all small animals, growth of skin is supposed to precede growth of skeleton, or else the animal might be in severe trouble..;)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]