kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

She sounds depressed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Dragoon on May 02, 2003 at 20:12:35:

In Reply to: Sick Savannah. advice needed posted by JustinO on May 02, 2003 at 19:23:04:

I am not very experienced, so you can disregard this post if you want. ;)
But first thing comes to mind: you just got her.

She is an adult, and good weight, and nice color. So she doesn't sound physically ill. Or rather, nothing she is going to immediately die of, if you just leave her be for a couple days. I'd be more concerned about stress. I wouldn't do a vet visit without more proof she is physically ill, going to the vet costs you in heaps of stress.

How did you "get water into her"? If she didn't drink it on her own, you increased her stress.
Does she have a hide? She is nice and warm in a big rubbermaid, but that is too roomy for her to feel secure. Try even a cardboard box, small enough that she can cram into it and not feel space over her head or her sides. Its just a guess on my part, but I think that feeling of "space" beside or over them makes them nervous. You can dispose of it when she's ready to go into her cage. Or, let her have it at first, while she gets used to the new cage, so she has something that smells like her.
If it were my animal, I'd leave it totally alone for a few days, to let it get over the shock. Your house air is different in humidity, smells etc. It knows it has been put somewhere completely different. Leave food and water out for it, give it privacy to take those things, as much as you want to SEE it eat and drink.
My advice is to give her some time. Good luck. D.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]