kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Terry, opinion please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rtdunham on May 10, 2003 at 00:39:01:

In Reply to: Terry, opinion please posted by BrianS. on May 06, 2003 at 00:20:45:

Brian,
1) I'm assuming by "two years old" you mean the male is an '01 hatch?
2) I've had some 2 yr olds and even 3 yr olds simply not show much interest in breeding, or on a couple of occasions, breed but introduce no viable sperm during copulation (I express a sample after each breeding and check it out on a microscope). So a lot can be going on that doesn't (usually) meet the eye.
3) Why not use the het male THIS year? Not sure why you'd need to wait til next year.
4) With a new untested male, and if I didn't have a microscope to check sperm, i'd have probably bred the albino X the females 3 or 4 times and then backed up those breedings with a breeding or two X the het male...the logic being, young male, unproven, a little on the small size, and a proven high-fertility older male, hedge your bets: If the albino's fertile, his sperm would father most of the babies and you'd get a higher numberr of albinos; but if he's NOT viable this year, using the het backup would still get you SOME albinos at least. Main downside is that you'd have to call the wild-types POSSIBLE hets, not definite hets as would be the case if you used only the albino male. That seems like a reasonable tradeoff for insuring the odds of getting at least some albinos.

Bottom line is you can NOT count on any given male being fertile. I work with five to eight males each year, and typically there's one or two, among the younger ones, that simply don't do the job.

Peace...and good luck!
Terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]