kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

R.I.P.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by bazmonkey on March 25, 2003 at 23:58:24:

As a little background:

I had my snakes in large tubs, on a rack, in my closet, with a "reliable" space heater on a thermostat, and rheostat-regulated flexwatt pads I made. I live in Tucson. 5 snakes, a corn, 3 kings, and a hondo milk.

I tested that damn space heater for a week before I put it in, and it kept my closet at 78 within 2 degrees the whole time. Well today, I guess it decided to stop. I came home to a 125 (!) degree closet, and a smell that could kill. I knew what happened before I even saw them lying... upside down, discolored.

I lost them all. 125 degrees.

So I got a box, wrote their poor little names on it, and went down the rack, putting them in the box, wiping up the goo dripping out of their mouths. I felt so bad.

When I got to Taj, the last one, the Mexican black king, I went to pick him up, and the living bastard bit me! I have never been more relieved to have been bitten in my life. I tried to "nudge" the rest one last time before I buried them, but he was the only one that made it. Leave it to the desert-dweller to tough it out.

I still don't know how he lived through HOURS of 120+ Fahrenheit temperature, but he did.

If any of you had known me, you'd know that I tried to do my best for these snakes. They were pets as much as my cat is. Please don't tell me about how you gotta be careful with temperature regulation. Trust me, I know. I just wanted to tell somebody.

R.I.P. Ani, Lecter, Cracker, and Natasha.

Baz

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]