kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: First time breeder question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by blueharlequin on March 02, 2003 at 16:23:10:

In Reply to: Re: First time breeder question posted by rtdunham on March 01, 2003 at 21:00:18:

Thanks again to everyone's input. Reading some specifics just puts things in a better light sometimes, even if they are just generalities.
Regarding differing sizes, I've actually got the opposite problem.. my female out-masses my male a lot. Really, I wouldn't be too concerned, but she doesn't seem anywhere near as interested in food as the male does post-cool, and I was sort of expecting her to eat more as she nears breeding time.

:I'm doing pretty much the same as the others here.
:GENERALITIES:
:Most of my hondos have their first shed 3-4 weeks after they begin feeding after being warmed, and then shed again 3-4 weeks later.
:Most of my females breed after their second shed. I've noticed a lower success rate for females that bred after the first shed so i try to wait til after their second even if it seems they might be ready. No "right" answer to that dilemma, i'm afraid.
:Most of my females breed every year.
:RE: your bigger male, smaller female, YOU are in control, so cut back the male's feed a little, and do all you can to goose the female's appetite: if you're offering live, offer dead; if you're offering big, offer small; if you're offering rats, offer mouse hoppers; etc., etc. Feed overnight if you've been feeding during the day. Brain the food item. put the snake in a smaller container with the food item for several hours. Etc.., etc. Your goal is to get her bigger, without adding a lot to his size.
:Good luck!
:Terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]