kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: ghost genetics?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by Vern on February 25, 2003 at 19:50:06:

In Reply to: Re: ghost genetics? posted by Paul Hollander on February 25, 2003 at 18:10:01:

::All this talk about ghost and anery has raised a few ?s for me.I was wondering if anery plus hypo will prduce ghosts or if you have to breed the hets together to get them and if so Im thinking to produce snows it would be the same.Albino and anery.

:anerythristic x hypomelanistic --> all heterozygous anerythristic, heterozygous hypomelanistic babies that look normal. No ghosts from this mating.

:To get ghosts, both parents have to be AT LEAST heterozygous for both anerythristic and hypomelanistic. If one or both parents are homozygous for one (or both) mutants, then the percentage of ghosts increases.

:For example:

:heterozygous anerythristic, heterozygous hypomelanistic x heterozygous anerythristic, heterozygous hypomelanistic --> (statistically)
:9/16 normal appearance
:3/16 hypomelanistic
:3/16 anerythristic
:1/16 ghost.

:anerythristic, heterozygous hypomelanistic x heterozygous anerythristic, hypomelanistic --> (statistically)
:1/4 normal appearance
:1/4 anerythristic
:1/4 hypomelanistic
:1/4 ghost

:ghost x ghost --> all ghosts

:For snows, just replace "hypomelanistic" with "albino" in the above.

:Paul Hollander

So if Im understanding this right my male anery must be het for hypo and breed to a hypo het for anery to produce ghosts.Since my male isnt het,I would have to breed him to a hypo female and then breed the offspring back to each other to produce ghosts.And the same with albino/anery to produce snows.The picture becomes clearer now.Thanks
Vern

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]