kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: another key bit of advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by Pondoris on February 23, 2003 at 09:43:27:

In Reply to: another key bit of advice posted by rtdunham on February 22, 2003 at 19:59:50:

:find a way to get accurate weights of your animals. Estimating lengths is a trap we all fall into, and don't do very well. But a weight is a weight, and it's a great insight into the actual size of an animal. I could give you a lot of useful info IF you had weights of your animals to relate it to.

*Chuckles* I'll have to give ya that one Terry. . .maybe my crude measurings were off. Serpwidget's Snake Measurer is about as close as you can get to an actual true representation of the snake's length. But basically the two that I believed were 27" at 11 weeks have only been putting on about an inch in length between sheds since Decemberish, but they are getting a nice girth size and considerablly larger head. So as of their 6 month "hatch-day" -Using SerpWidget's Snake Measurer. . .but prolly horrible camera positioning- One shows as 30" and weighs in at 180 grams and the other shows at 31.5" with a weight of 197 grams. Yes, measuring length is far from the greatest method of snake sizing which is why I purchased a digital scale. Cant go wrong with a weight.

Peace,
Ian

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]