kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re; questions.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by crimsonking on February 01, 2003 at 16:22:08:

In Reply to: back to snake stuff..a question posted by rtdunham on February 01, 2003 at 08:10:56:

:I'd be curious to know to what extent breeders have altered the "normal" brumation period for their herps. I just talked to a friend whose colubrids have just finished hatching; and another fella told me how he'd "maneuvered" ball pythons into producing babies before Christmas, by changing the timing of the cooldown and shortened light periods.

:What have you done? How did it work? Did you do it gradually or all in a single season? What was your motive? And what do you think of the practice? (Those who are "against" it please explain what should be considered the "normal" timing!) BTW, I'm curious because i'm bringing up my hondurans and pyros the first week of Feb this year, almost a month earlier than my usual schedule, because of a combination of personal scheduling needs and the desire to have babies for delivery at the August expo. I'm still gonna follow my usual practice of waiting for the Hondo females to shed twice before pairing them up. I've heard so many different stories about timing with the pyros, I'm still not sure what to do with them, maybe just start early and continue until things happen, see for myself what works best for mine.

:I look forward to hearing your experiences & opinions.

:peace
:terry

:.... Terry, I also know a guy who has his corns on a schedule to be "first". While it would make sense for some, for me it does not, since I try to have hatching time coincide with the Daytona show. It is great to have well started animals then for sure, but feeding that many mouths even 4 more times obviously cuts into time and profits and would require me to have lots more mice. As it is, my first hatch are usually prairie kings and scarlet kings at the end of May. Most of the rest hatch in June/July. And as for the pyros, mine all hatch in time for the show as well. I treat them exactly as my other colubrids.
:Mark

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]