return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Chick list of Amphibians & reptiles in Israel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Middle East ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by H Gold on April 17, 2000 at 19:07:16:

In Reply to: Chick list of Amphibians & reptiles in Israel posted by Imad on December 18, 1999 at 08:33:56:

Hi. I don't know very much about this, (I am interested in Israeli herps myself, but have found little), but this I
do know. There are currently six known species of amphibians and over 100 reptiles in Israel. The amphibians are the Fire Salamander, the Banded Newt
the Mediterranean Treefrog, the Syrian Spadefoot, the Green Toad, and the Levant Marsh frog. Originally, the Levant frog was considered the Marsh frog (Rana ridibunda), but is now classed as its own species. The Marsh frog is probably
a complex of many different cryptic species and I heard something about the frogs in Israel possibly representing TWO different species that look similar. I can't verify this, but I heard rumors that the frogs in Lake Kinneret may be a separate species from Rana levante.
There was another frog, the Isreal Painted frog, (Discosglossus nigriventer)but it is almost definitely extinct (I keep hoping a relic population turns up though!). In Biblical days, when Israel was wetter, greener, and had larger rivers connecting biomes in the Mideast to southern Europe,
there may have been more species of amphibians in Israel. As far as reptiles, there are over 100 species. Lizards are represented by
geckoes, skinks, agamids, monitors, glass lizards (anguids)and lacertilians (typical Old World lizards). Snakes are also diverse, with colubrids (typical "harmless" snakes), sand boas, vipers, cobras, and maybe blind snakes being represented. Turtles are the Caspian terrapin, the Nile softshell,
and several species of sea turtle found in the Med and Red Seas. The Nile crocodile lived in Israel in biblical days. Hope this is some help!
: Hi.

: Iam very interested to know about the Mediterranean region Herpetological fauna

: I would like to know more about Israeli Herp fauna

: Does anyone know what kind of species there

: Thank-you

: Imad

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: