kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Totally Different Type Of Thing..../ I don't think so...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by Emma on May 10, 2003 at 11:23:42:

In Reply to: Totally Different Type Of Thing.... posted by LeosAnonymous on May 09, 2003 at 17:13:02:

Thank´s Ross for your comments. Yeas, I know I "use" snake terms, but the genetics is the same in lizards/leo and snakes, and what if true genetic hypo occur in leo, what will we call them? Shouldn´t it be more easy to use the same name for the same morph in any reptile? Then you can read any reptile info and know what morph it is.

I was wondering if the brown in leo spotting is genetics or not? Have you seen if it is? There has to be some kind of mutation if a spot can change from black to brown.

And are you shure snow is linebred? I have a snow from two high yellow parents, my own breed. He was compley white with black band and later spots until 2 month ago (he is now 8 month), now is is light green in his old band and offwhite instead of white. How can I get a snow when he is not bred to be snow, an no one of his siblings last year was a bit white, all became high yellow normals.

Next year I will mate him to his mother and to some unrelated females to see if this snow is gentic or not.

- Madeleine

:You seem to be approaching this as you would with ball pythons...

:Hypo in leopard geckos is line bred, in snakes it's a simple recessive. In leopard geckos it is referring to the a lack of melanin in the way of spotting (brown or black), in snakes it refers to having brown coloration instead of black.

:Snow in leopard geckos is line bred, in snakes it's a simple recessive/combo of simple recessives.

:You really cant approach breeding leopard geckos the same way you would snakes... Snake breeders are always looking for ways to make new morphs by crossing proven morphs, almost no attention is paid to line bred traits.

:In leopard geckos we focus heavily on line bred traits and using selective breeding to enhance pre-existing morphs. Only a couple mutations even exist that involve crossing two recessives, patternless albino and blazzing blizzard.

:I understand your way of thinking as well... but it really doesn't fit into leopard geckos the way it does with ball pythons or other snakes.

:-Ross Payan - www.LeosAnonymous.com

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]