kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

**Need Advice** Cool Story, Never Give Up On An Egg!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by LeosAnonymous on May 08, 2003 at 09:38:26:

Hi Everyone,

Last night I was checking on the eggs as usual and noticed that one (very close to hatch date) had developed a growth. I've never quite seen anything like it, the growth was about the size of a medium grape, very strange.

Well I decided that since it was obvious the egg was going to die, I would try and save the little gecko by cutting the egg. I carefully opened the egg with an exacto knife and removed the baby. I expected it would be dead, as I have NEVER seen any growth of this size on a healthy egg. Well to my surprize the little gecko's tail started to move, within a minute it was walking around like a perfectly healthy little hatchling. Very cool feeling!

Well I've never cut a live leopard gecko out of an egg before, so I was wondering if any of you had some advice on caring for a pre-mature hatchling. She is of regular size and looks to be doing well. The only concern I have is the presence of a very large yolk sac. It is much larger than any yolk sac I have ever seen on a hatchling. Also she seems a little disoriented when walking, probably because she was not scheduled to hatch yet?

I'm planning keeping her in this deli cup with wet paper towels for a few days, or at least until she absorbs that sac.

If anyone had any advice what-so-ever on what I could do to increase her chances of growing up to be a healthy little hatchling I would greatly appreciate it.

I have to say that was the coolest feeling when she started walking around after I cut her out of the egg. I was sure she would be dead. Definately makes you feel good inside. And to think I almost just threw it in the trash assuming it was dead, thank god I had a change of heart.

Thanks everyone,

Ross Payan - www.LeosAnonymous.com

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]