kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: WC ball pythons and the import trade

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by reed on March 16, 2003 at 11:17:10:

In Reply to: Re: WC ball pythons sold as CB...unethical treatment posted by StephanieA on March 10, 2003 at 17:30:58:

I'd say that contacting local animal control is only a small-time fix. If you want your voice to be heard, contact U.S. Fish and Wildlife and ask them to start screening imported ball pythons for parasites and other pathogens. Between 1989 and 2000, over 366,000 ball pythons were imported from Africa - I suspect that less than 10% of these animals live for more than 2 years. It is likely that this rate of import is sustainable for the African populations given current "ranching" of snakes, but the issue of introduced pathogens is serious and has not been adequately addressed with regard to potential threats to native snake species.

Regards,
Bob

:I know this is terrible to say, but it is probably a bad idea to buy the animals off the store. I've been in the exact same situation and felt incredibly compelled to buy the animals and give them some chance at life. However, I'm scared that by doing that I would be reinforcing the system and making space so they can hurt even more animals. I say if you really really want to buy the animals, then go ahead and do it. The best solution is to call animal control and get some action against these people happening.
:I'm glad there are people in this world who actually do care about what happens to these poor creatures.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]