kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

legislation to save thousands of turtles and frogs....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by bloomindaedalus on December 30, 2002 at 05:06:21:

This may be old news to some of you but for the last year and a half, a small, independent group in florida has been trying to get an animal "cross walk" built to save thousands of animals from becoming roadkill in florida. There have been several articles written about it and they are all on this group's website. They are not asking for donations (though i imagine they'd take them) all they want is a bit of your time and a stamp (so okay i guess they are asking for the price of a postage stamp). They want you to write a letter to some government authortities to convince them to build this underpass; they call it an "ecopassage". Literally tens of thousands of animals have been collected dead from this road in just the last three years (it is a major highway that divides a lake and one side is drying up due to drought so the animals migrate to the otherside via the road) They even have a pre-written form letter you can print and send so you don't have to write your own.

www.lakejacksonturtles.org

I am sure you hear about lots of animals' problems with which you'd like to help but there are always complications. You can't be sure if the money you send will be used in a intelligent or responsible way. Or maybe there are conflicts of interest between the animals and the humnas involved where they are. Sometimes a fair amount of politics comes into play or there doesn't seem to be a viable soultion. But these guys at this site have worked out a reasonable plan and its one that has been successfully enacted before to save other animals in similar straits. Please at least go to the site (its very very nicely put together) and see for yourself. You only need to take a few minutes to print a letter and then put a stamp on it and put it in the mail. I know this is a public forum and i suppose i am promulgating a private agenda so i will disclaim by saying you should at least see it for yourselves and make your own decison. I think it will be hard to disagree as to what to do.

www.lakejacksonturtles.org

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]