kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Baby Turtles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by Katrina on September 29, 2002 at 19:58:06:

In Reply to: Baby Turtles posted by sejuka on September 17, 2002 at 23:45:13:

http://www.tortoise.org/general/4inch.html

Try this and let me know how it works. Print out the above website, and mail the hard copy annonymously to the pet store, adding that you WILL be contacting the authorities if they don't stop selling hatchlings. It might not be a bad idea to mail a copy of your letter to the local animal control and city/county council or Better Business Bureau. If you think the store is renting space from a property management, you can also get the info on that and mail this to the rental agent, with a short note explaining that the store is selling illegal hatchlings with the wrong info, and you will call the authorities of the practice does not stop. Hopefully, the two or three annonymous letters will deter the store from selling the hatchlings.

Besides the lack of care info, I hate the fact that the stores/vendors/dealers are selling so cheaply an animal that basically does not make a good, long-term pet for the average consumer. Sliders get up to 11 inches, and really do best in ponds. But, since they are not native to most of the US, they should not be released to native waters. So, an outdoor pond in an enclosed yard or an indoor pond are best for housing adult sliders, especially females.

Katrina

:My husband and I recently purchased two baby RES's from a pet store. I didn't realize that they weren't allowed to sell turtles less than four inches in length when we purchased them, and they are far smaller than that. This store still has a tank with about 15 babies, and every other time I've been there they have had at least that many. I'm not quite sure how to handle the situation from here. Should I report this? Is there some tyoe of permit they could have for selling babies? I don't really want to get anyone in trouble, but I don't want to let them continue selling baby turtles to impulse buyers either if there is a way to prevent it. Any hints?
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]