kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I don't think that would work...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by -ryan- on May 10, 2003 at 21:26:41:

In Reply to: I failed at kingsnake ownership, i guess i really screwed up posted by oldherper on May 10, 2003 at 21:08:14:

I used to actually try to convince them, about two years ago. All they did was yell at me. So now I try not to say anything about snakes, or else they go into this long thing about how snakes make terrible pets. just the other day I was talking about reptiles, and got on the subject of anakes, and they just kept going on about how awful our snake was (it was really all our fault), and basically saying I can't ever have one again (but in an inconspicuous way).

I don't know. I guess I should just be happy they let me get the bearded dragon.

I would have never thought I would miss such an aggressive snake as much as I have for the past 4-5 years. He was basically just a display animal, since my parents were never willing to supervise me and let me get him out when I wanted to, and of course they aren't going to let an 8 year old kid take a snake out of it's cage with no supervision. Whenever they did want to try to get him out (very seldom) my dad was always the one to try. The one time they let me try, I actually got him out and held him (well, I caught him off guard, but had we continued handling him like that he would have been fine). After that, it was the same thing. My dad had to work late, and my mom wanted nothing to do with the snake, so once again, no supervision, so no snake handling. I can still say that when I got home from riding my bike and my parents told me I had to get rid of the snake, I cried for about a day, and I was kind of in a state of panic. I was thinking that maybe I could get him tame now, but I knew it would never happen, and just a couple of days later I was in the car with the cage in the back, snake still in it (my dad still didn't want to handle him) on the way back to the reptile place, and since then I have kind of felt guilty, and it's like it's always lingering in the back of my mind. I think I blew it. That was an awful year. My favorite cat died less then a year after, and I almost had to give up my dog because she bit someone. But the dog is still here, and she's doing well, my cat was old, it was her time to go, so I can only think of her in a happy way, but where's Sparky the snake? I have no clue. Last thing we knew, he might have been sent to a breeder as breeding stock, but I don't know. I still miss my little snakey.

later

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]