kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What I've learned and Questions I still Have

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by sasheena on April 23, 2003 at 12:22:48:

After reading a bunch of different messages in the archives, what I’ve come to understand about the eggs are the following points:

1. They will sometimes dimple and even wrinkle, this is an indication that the humidity is too low. I should increase the humidity. But don’t stress too much as kingsnake eggs are “forgiving”

2. If they turn green and start to smell foul, they are dead-eggs, and should be thrown away.

3. If some are bad, but others aren’t the bad ones might mold, but the good ones should not be effected by this, and should do okay.

4. I should keep the temperatures between 78 and 82 and they should hatch in 60 days give or take a couple of weeks,

Questions I still have:

1. I should candle the eggs how many days after they are laid?
2. How do I candle them when they are in one big clump? Just shine a flashlight through the whole clump and look for veins?
3. If the eggs are still pliable and soft after 72 hours, is this normal?
4. Will I ever stop fretting over these eggs? (I know the answer to this one… YES… and THEN, hopefully, I’ll be fretting over HATCHLINGS!)

Thanks again for any responses. I know I keep asking questions, but I really do want to get this right. I would hate for my female snake to have gone through the entire thing just to have ME mess it up and not take care of her eggs well enough for them to hatch! Plus I have one more gravid kingsnake who should be laying her eggs in about a month, and if I’ve done this one wrong, I want to know and understand my mistakes so that when I have the next batch I don’t make those mistakes and at least have ONE viable clutch of kingsnake eggs this year.

Again, thanks for listening and for any advice.

~Sasheena

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]