kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Proud new mama of a Florida King..Any tips?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Brandon Osborne on April 14, 2003 at 13:36:46:

In Reply to: Proud new mama of a Florida King..Any tips? posted by shannons on April 14, 2003 at 06:31:02:

1. tip.......Have fun! Floridana are awesome kings.

2. Instead of using the turf carpet, I would use aspen. The turf generally gets dirty and stained, and also will harbor bacteria. Just use a 2-3" layer of aspen and he should do great. Good luck.

Brandon Osborne

:I picked up the new king my class is adopting last night. Hopefully I can get his lighting and heating stable in school today- then he can relax over break and get used to everything (he was fed yesterday according to his last owner.) His name is Hannibal (I'm sure a very common kingsnake name :) and I think the kids will love him - he's full grown 5 feet and maybe a few inches. and was being fed 5 mice every two weeks (live I believe but with time I'll change that). He is a gentle boy - I've already handled him a bit - and very active and curious about all the changes. he rattled at the dog last night, but his past owners also had one so he is used to that. (He'l be in school anyway - a dog-free zone) I think the kids will really like him! He is in (I think) a 50 gallon with a sliding screen lid - I'll get a lock for it as well ASAP, with repti-carpet, a dish big enough for him to soak in, a UTH, and a overhead light hood. He needs a few hides (he just crawls under the carpet now) and maybe some wood to climb on. Any other suggestions? What would be your number one tip for a new king owner?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]