kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Mexican black kingsnake part deux

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by tigress on April 12, 2003 at 17:38:15:

Well, after visiting some other sites about the mexican black kingsnake, and the black kingsnake (and the desert) I think I do have a poorly marked mexican black kingsnake. Most mentioned that some can have a speckled pattern ont he side (the less desirable specimens, hrmph).

He looks nothing like any of the desert pictures I saw, he looked a lot like t he black kingsnakes, but his neck was a little more black, and he doesn't have the checker pattern on his belly. That and he acts like I would expect a Mexican black to (he doesn't act like a forest snake like the black kingsnake, he likes to dig and not all that great at climbing).

And, I have to say judging from my experience Mexican Black kingsnakes have to be one of the best beginner snakes out there. He's very tough, he's not aggressive in the least (despite not being handled much, though he prefers not being handled), and only once ever tried to even musk me (and only did it half-heartedly). He's a total doll even if he never really got used to me (I tried, as soon as I stopped he seemed happier though, was out more in his cage and such).

I just gotta wonder why people love to suggest corns as the favored snake for beginners :P.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]