kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: dead prey overrated?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by chrish on April 11, 2003 at 12:50:05:

In Reply to: dead prey overrated? posted by the nerve on April 11, 2003 at 12:41:42:

Boy, you are on to something there! I keep trans-pecos rat snakes as well as kings. They often crawl onto blacktop roads at night to thermoregulate. I think keeping them in cages with heat tape is unnatural. I am going to start taking mine out to a stretch of interstate here where it gets some good sun and let them bask "naturally" each night for an hour or so.

Of course, snakes get hit by cars when they do this in the wild, but the species seem to survive, so why not?

Similar logic, IMHO.

When you raise a snake in captivity you adopt the responsibility of their well being. Being trapped in a small cage with a live rodent is a very different scenario that occurs in the wild.

There are two reasons that people like using live prey. The first is that it gives the snake exercise. That may be true. But offering a f/t rodent and tugging on it a little to elicit a constricting response has the same effect with less risk.
The other is that they enjoy seeing their animals kill their prey. At some point, that pleasure is supposed to wear off as you realize the danger you are exposing the animal to.

Ever find a snake in the wild with missing or damaged eye? I have. Guess how that happens.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]