kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Keep putting them together periodically

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Shanty on April 11, 2003 at 11:53:07:

In Reply to: Thayeri breeders, please give me your opinion posted by Nokturnel Tom on April 10, 2003 at 13:54:19:

Tom -- ah, we always want to see instant action. I know I do, but snakes will take their time and often breed when we aren't looking. So . . . my three pairs were put together on 4/9 with supervision. One pair mated and the other two were disinterested. They were separated and placed back into their respective trays. Put them back together today (4/11) and the same pair that mated last time, mated again. I changed males for one mating because the female had just shed and I decided I wanted clucthes from three males this season rather than two; he's a 2001 male and decided to take her by the head, thinking she was a prey item. I unlatched the love biter from the "what's up" female and watched them ignore each other for the next ten minutes. They are back in their own trays again and will go together in about four days. The third pair weren't interested either.

Bottom line: I put them together for a few minutes to a couple hours, separate them for three to four days, and put them back together for a few hours. When I see interest from BOTH parties I leave them together overnight, unless I see them copulate. Then I separate them immediately back to their own trays AFTER they move apart.

You will have to let them foloow their own schedules, however, and that's why I just keep putting them back together until I see the female is gravid and bulging with eggs. Some breeders can tell when a female is ovulating. I can't.

Good luck in any event.

Shannon Hiatt
www.qualityreps.com

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]