kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

also.....& also & also....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by regalringneck on April 29, 2003 at 07:30:47:

In Reply to: also..... posted by gila7150 on April 29, 2003 at 04:50:57:

HB, you cant get good comprehensive advice when you only dedicate ~ 1 minute to describing your problem...one that is somewhat complex to begin with.
You need to work offline, on a text file. Take an hour or more over a day or 2 to describe precisely what you have been doing: Describe in detail the When, What, & for how long... every variable. The type of guardian & history of this snake...C/B-W/C? Did the snake ever eat for you & if so what? Has it shed? Have you medicated it? What species of prey, f/t or live have been offered? If live left alone for how long? Size & structure of cage. Exposure to a window, is the cage lighted, & by what means? T & humidity? Is it soaking, Concealment availability.....ad nauseum. Then & only then....can we begin to understand your situation & comment usefully on it.
I have had a few chronic fasting neonates jump start after 1 or 2 forced feedings, but unless it were an eastern or rubidus, I wouldnt bother nowadays.
My instant answer is offer a live lizard, frog, or snake. I suspect the small guardians would really go for shrimp w/ the shell on too.
C&B;jg

: The only force feeding experience I have with Drymarchon is tube feeding a soft diet to a very ill texas indigo that had oral surgery. Hopefully someone with more drymarchon experience than me will weigh in on this one.
: I've had to force feed juvie thayeri and other hatchlings before. Use a prey item that is considerably smaller than what your cribo would normally be capable of eating. I moisten it with warm water to provide some lubrication. Gently pry open the mouth (I've used a sexing probe turned sideways) and gently insert the prey item. Hopefully, once the prey item has been gently pushed 1/3-1/2 of the way into the mouth the cribo will finish it. Usually this works best if you can leave the snake alone where he cant see you. (under newspaper, hidebox). Only attempt this when you are not rushed and in a patient mood.
: I'll stress again that force feeding is a last resort and should only be done after you've exhausted every other trick and tried every prey item possible (lizards, snakes, chicks, etc.)
: If anyone disagrees with any advice I've given, please feel free to contradict me. Fortunately, my cribos are all good eaters so I'm happy to say my experience in this department is limited.
: Good luck,
: Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]