kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Thank you guys...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by afflicted on April 20, 2003 at 11:58:14:

In Reply to: Thank you guys... posted by Simon R. Sansom on April 19, 2003 at 23:56:58:

Here are my methods for getting them on f/t. Usually they will take it from tongs, your "in front of the hide box" method usually works really well. I have one right now, I just lift the hide box, put three rat pinks on or near the snake, put the hide back and close her up. They are always gone in a few minutes. One common mistake that people make are that these snakes are super aware of everything around them with extremely keen eyesight. If you are moving around, stay still, if they won't "forget" that you are there, leave.

My adults are a different story. My largest male on occasion has partially come out of the cracked open glass door, looking for the bucket of rats. A huge snake like that actively hunting out of the cage may take you by suprise, but turning around to find a snake like that staring right at you with that slow motion flick of the tongue. They are amazing.

: I have a pair of '02 youngsters, the female of which will only rarely take frozen/thawed. I hate feeding her live prey because she does not seem to constrict. She grabs the mice right by the front of the muzzle and just hangs on until they calm down a bit, then she swallows them, REALLY fast. After she grabs it, I try to give the mouse a good hard flick with my finger to hopefully stun it a bit, so that it's not such a threat to her. I assume that wild Spilotes must often be injured by their prey (either that, or they don't prey on too many rodents).
: Any tips to help get her on thawed prey? She really seems to go for the movement, and I've tried "fishing", attaching a thawed mouse to some fishing line and gently dancing it around the opening of her hide-box. This has worked ONCE for me, but that's all.
: I'd really hate to see her get injured by a live mouse.

: I appreciate all of your assistance.

:Have a great week-end.

: Simon

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]