kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: thoughts on activity level, egg-binding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on March 31, 2003 at 18:26:59:

In Reply to: thoughts on activity level, egg-binding posted by DeanAlessandrini on March 31, 2003 at 12:14:15:

Dean, do you use vitamin supplementation and if so, what type? Don't you feel that this is also a very important factor? Just curious to hear your thoughts...and I am in complete agreement with your observations.

:I also agree that female indigos that are forced to be inactive due to small enclosures are more likely to get eggbound due to lack of muscle tone. Robert Seib once shared a tidbit that works for him that seemed like a great idea. He gives the snakes a hide area that is built UNDER the cage. This makes the snakes climb every time they go in and out of their hide...thus forcing more activity. My cages are not set up like this, but they are all in 6-7' cages, with a cool spot on one side and a warm spot on the other, forcing them to move around within the enclosure in order to thermoregulate.

:I think key factors are:

:-- age and size of snake: I don't like to breed them younger than 3 years, and no smaller than very close to 6'
:-- proper hydration: Slightly damp substrate when they are close to laying may help.
:-- size of enclosure / activity level of the snakes.

:I do all 3...and (knock wood) I have never had an egg-bound indigo snake...even when passing large "slugs".

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]