kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

re-absorbtion anecdote...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by redgarter on March 29, 2003 at 23:02:55:

In Reply to: re-absorbing posted by DeanAlessandrini on March 29, 2003 at 13:57:27:

Years ago I had a female eastern get egg bound with three eggs after passing a load of slugs. I had then decided to adopt the wait and see approach in the hopes she would eventually pass then on her own. By the time I finally decided to try the surgical approach, with a good many weeks trying to locate a local vet who would be game enough to try it, at least 6 months had elapsed since her laying day. The egg masses had seemed to have shrunk during all this time, and when they were finally surgically extirpated, they certainly didn't have the appearance of anything resembling an egg with a shell. They were just very lumpy yellowish chunks of misshapen oily putty-like material, and two of them were now at least half the size of the third one, which was itself smaller than any slug the female had expelled on her laying day. Of course they weren't rigorously examined under the microscope to confirm this, but to me they truly looked like they were being broken down somehow by the oviducts.

Another, more current anecdote is Dwight's own eggbound female, that still has egg masses that can be palpated after almost a full year. Not sure lately if he thinks they are shrinking though.

So it's a distinct possibility that the process is possible over time, but the questions remain whether the eggs can be completely resorbed over time, and if so how much time it can take, and then of course, how such a prolonged inflammatory response from the oviducts would affect future reproductive capacity...

Dr. Phil

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]