kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Looks like spilotes will be on the list again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by afflicted on February 17, 2003 at 21:22:35:

I have been trying my best to capture various activities with photos this season and it looks like I am doing it. My spilotes were breeding very heavy during the last week of January. I didn't want to disturb them too much since they are so aware of their surroundings. All I got was the tail end, the week before I saw copulation but I decided against the camera.

Today I captured ovulation. I thought I had witnessed this last year but was unsure. I believe this time it is much larger than previous times and after egglaying, I am going to feed heavier in hopes of having a more fertile double clutch. Two shots, couldn't decide which one showed it better. To those who don't see it, this snake is tame and does not swell up like others in defense so the skin you see between the scales is not due to that. I have only been feeding her rat pups, 3-4 per feeding once or twice per week. She is a large snake at 7', somewhat girthy for a spilotes and that looks more like the size of a medium rat.

Now I just need to hope for a high percentage of high yellows like the male. There are always high yellows present but the more the merrier. I am not sure where we are along the normal time line but in previous years, eggs were always laid at the end of April and babies hatched during the last week of June. Once the eggs are deposited I will know for sure, I guessed last year to the day. Wish me luck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]