kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: interested new indigo owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on February 17, 2003 at 07:19:21:

In Reply to: interested new indigo owner posted by elrojo on February 16, 2003 at 23:14:04:

Yes, eastern indigo feces does smell (but only if you leave it long enough to eminate in your house so routine cleaning is a must), yes, indigos probably eat more than other snakes of similar size (perhaps not more, but they need to be fed more often and give a much more varied diet), and yes, they can have a strong feeding response if they get a whiff of food, however, taking all of these into consideration, you still won't find a more rewarding animal to work with. In terms of permits, it will really depend on where you live and where you get your permit from. If you purchase an indigo out of state, you will need an interstate commerce permit from the USFWS. Additionally, you will need to check with your state DNR to see if a state permit is required as well. If you purchase the snake from the same state you live in, then you will only need to be concerned about the state permit. Cribos, as far as a I know, don't require any special permits at this time.

:I had a wild caught indigo as a boy and it was a great pet snake. I had several snakes throughout childhood but what I remember most is how badly it's feces smelled, how much it ate, and how it was probably the only snake I ever owned that came out of it's cage to grab upon opening the top. I have a black milk (great snake) now and have had a black pine, but have wanted another indigo for some time. What do I have to do legally to own one? What exactly is a cribo? There is very little in print and I just got this computer recently, so pardon me being the "new kid". Thanks for any info.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]