kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: recipients and my vision of this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by shadindigo on February 06, 2003 at 16:40:25:

In Reply to: recipients and my vision of this posted by DeanAlessandrini on February 06, 2003 at 14:09:06:

Fair warning... a degree of devils' advocacy is in this response. The spirit and intent is to try to help think things through, not to start a urination contest.

::I absoulutley did not mean for the folks in GA to be the sole recipients of the donations. It's merely A START. It's a FIRST suggestion.

Didn't mean to imply that you did. As you say it's a start, better than what is out there currently. What I'm trying to convey is there is potentially something larger to be supported as well as a larger inventory of potential participants.

:It's my hope to (very simply) have a list of "approved" donatees who are either researching indigos / educating the public about indigos / or protecting indigo habitat and are in need of assistance. In my opinion, the individual breeder making the donation should choose which of the organizations to contribute to.

Not intending to be adversarial, just trying to help flesh out a good idea...but how is the short list decided? I would offer that an individual breeder, should h/she choose, could opt to donate to the cause of their choice w/o an organization to assist them in their choice.

Maybe we can communicate as to which has the greatest IMMEDIATE need, etc and make suggestions, but I have no desire to take the breeders money and distribute it...or to TELL them where to donate the money they earned.

Dog-gone this one sided medium and my inability to use it to communicate successfully! I'm not minimizing of the plight of the Eastern or the effort in GA, and as a forced Floridian I recognize the immediate need. The rapidity of habitat destruction here is staggering and Easterns don't adapt well. I'm certain you didn't intend to collect/administer/distribute the funds yourself but if some such structure as this does not exist why have the organization?

I don't want to have a formal conservation organization here, with expenses and employees etc...just a group of breeders donating a portion of their sales to various groups who we deem worthy for their efforts.

Again, great idea, should it be called the "Beneficent Eastern Indigo Breeders Cartel"? (OUCH, did I just say that? putting on the body armor now...) Just presenting another side and I know this is not the intent. If it's just going to be about breeders and their voluntary contributions, why solicit input from those that are not in the breeding business?

The group getting each donation would send a letter to the BUYER of the snake thanking him for his / her donation and thus making them feel the money they spent on the snake is doing some good. I don't think it has to be so complicated.

Unfortunately, when disposition of others' funds is involved it gets complicated. A lot of issues can come up. Again, great idea, fully supportive. Any effort/commitment is better than none.

Regards,
Jeff Nichols

-

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]