kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

His eyes look clear in the picture....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Doug T on January 25, 2003 at 18:25:47:

In Reply to: Here's a pic posted by GregH on January 25, 2003 at 16:26:32:

I thought his eyes were still "blue", which would be cause for concern.

I think your temperatures are dead on. Having seen the pic, it looks and sounds like your snake is completely normal.

My indigo cages all are dropping into the upper 60's at night now. I'd be surprised if it wasn't occasionally dropping to the lower 60's still. My indigos have heat via a basking lamp that shuts off if the cage temp gets to about 77-80. Because the heat lamp is inside the cage, those temperatures are achieved pretty quick, it means they only have a couple hours to bask. If they remain in their hides on the cool side of the cage, they get to max 75...which is what they do everytime they go opaque.

Indigos do tend to eat less during winter. My females went 2 months without being fed and my male went 3 months. Going off feed for a month in the middle of winter is well withing the range of normal behavior for an eastern indigo.

You're keeping his hide box damp (not wet) and that's about the only thing I'd worry about.

I think that it's pretty easy to forget that, even with indigos, we're dealing with animals that are slow. 2 weeks from going "blue" to shedding isn't neccesarily a cause for concern. Now that I think about it, I have a gravid female I haven't seen for over a week. I know she went blue, so I just leave her alone.

I think you just need to relax...feel free to call and chat about them if you want.

Doug T
425-486-9370

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]