kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Not to confuse you anymore, but..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by dryguy on January 22, 2003 at 16:51:00:

In Reply to: Spilotes? Cribo? Need Education... posted by GregH on January 20, 2003 at 17:59:35:

I think my colleagues read your questions differently than I..
Spilotes and Drymarchon are very different animals...Technically the are both in the Colubrid "family" but not the same species, which seemed to me to be your question(My bad if I'm wrong, but it's sort of like saying Natrix and Drymarchon are the "same family" which technically they are, both being Colubrids, but no 2 animals could look more different)...
Spilotes lovers are happy and welcome members/contributors of this forum, most of them are pretty funny too!...I don't think many(my OPINION) would say that Spilotes and Drymarchon are too similar in much of anything except length...Yes they eat some similar items but Dry's eat much more varied things, other reptiles,amphibians, etc as well as any warm blooded creature they can get ahold of!! There are lots of other differences like being more prone to love being arboreal than Dry's, but you'll find out all about them as you learn to love your Eastern Indigo and decide if you want to try Spilotes too!!
Hope I didn't confuse the issue too much..Carl

:The post below by gila has a link to a real yellow spilotes. When you go to the site (which I have seen before) it calls it a common name of "Cribo" or "Chicken Eater" and then give the scientific name "Spilotes Pullites". The spelling may be wrong there. Anyway, I have been trying to learn as much as I can on the Dry family and learn their scientific names and all but I thought that the spilotes was actually a different snake. One of the common names is a "Tiger Rat" correct? Some questions I have are: Are spilotes in the same family as the Dry's? Where did the common name "Cribo" come from? Are Cribos the same as Spilotes?

:This is a real simple one for most of you but I am no biologist, herpotoligist, vet, or anything like that. This is just a hobby for me. I think snakes are so cool. Now that I own an Eastern Indigo I know that the Dry family is the coolest there is, so I'd like to learn as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

:Greg
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]