kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Has anybody seen a spilotes like this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by spilotes on January 20, 2003 at 22:51:20:

In Reply to: Has anybody seen a spilotes like this? posted by gila7150 on January 18, 2003 at 21:48:07:

In 1978 I was picked up while hitch-hiking around Miami by a guy who used to work at the Miami Serpentarium. He took me to a place in downtown Miami where I bought a Spilotes like that. It was a back-alley place run by colombian drug traffikers who imported cocain in the snake's bellies. We had to drive around delivering small packages wrapped in brown paper to very large homes in Palm Beach all afternoon, but the snake never tried to bite, even with all the handling. The "company" didn't have anything for me to put the snake in after I bought it - they even seemed rather surprised that someone might actually want to buy a snake from them. Their chicken wire cages were filled half way to the top with boas on top of boas on top of boas. I suspect they just waited for the balloons to be deposited and then killed off the snakes. The guy who picked me up let me stay at his house in Boca Raton, and even had a couple friends drop off 2 (two) pounds of pot as incentive - they were trying to talk me into a starring role in a little film they were making.
They seemed to all be living the american dream I guess.

Anyway, that pic, which is in a book published about 1980, has always reminded me of that first spilotes. I've never seen one as nice since, though I've been looking!

Joe
:I came across this picture on the web the other day. Has anyone seen a spilotes like this before? It has almost a completely yellow patternless head. I'm drooling :)
: Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]