kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree 100%! n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on January 17, 2003 at 06:16:03:

In Reply to: Re: read any good books lately??? posted by spilotes on January 16, 2003 at 21:56:32:

:I like the idea of the historical perspective. I would suggest getting a copy of Ditmars: Snakes of the World, reading it, then imagining that this was virtually the only book you know of, in the entire world, that deals with snakes. No TV shows, except the occasional mention of snakes on Daktari (remember that show? I can still hear the little thumb piano musical introduction!), no web, no herp husbandry info what-so-ever.

:And I still think some of the beautiful black and white photos by Isabel Hunt Conant in the Ditmars book are the best ever.

:Joe

::Travis, I would HIGHLY recommend some of the more "historical" books to get a real good appreciation for where our hobby/profession has been, who has made the major contributions, and where we are heading into the future. The one book that truly shaped my career path was Carl Kaufeld's "Snakes: The Keeper and the Kept" and "Snakes and Snake Hunting (not the exact name....haven't had my coffee yet so I am a little fuzzy). Because of these two books, I decided at a fairly young age to pursue a career in herpetology. Although these books were written over 40 years ago, they are still highly relevant and you can see what a visionary this person was. There are MANY other people who have made major contributions just as there are people today who are doing the same. I think it is important to understand our hobby from a historical context as it will instill a much deeper sense of appreciation for the hard work that was completed years ago in order to lay down the foundation for today's herpetologists, breeders, hobbyists, etc.

:::Hey All--
::: I am very admitedly a newbie to keeping snakes (less than a year) but already have 1 kingsnake, a pair of jungle carpets, a black tail cribo, and a trio of taiwan beauty snakes that should be arriving in the morning. What books would you all recommend? i love pythons, drymarchon, and every ratsnake known to man.... I'm looking to get some good books for husbandry, breeding, parasites and treatment and anything else to further my knowlege. thanks for the help...
:::Travis.

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]