kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Newbie: 2 iguanas together.Is it ok?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by Flavia Guimaraes on May 11, 2003 at 22:45:29:

In Reply to: Newbie: 2 iguanas together.Is it ok? posted by desesos on May 11, 2003 at 20:53:15:

i had that problem several times.When i started raising igs i caged 3 babies together.They lived together in harmony (apparent harmony) during 2 years and suddenly the three of them started to try to kill each other.Now instead of one i have 3 huges cages in my balcony!lol!
Then i tried it again.I put 2 babies together.This time i dont even had an apparent harmony!The first day they started to headbob to each other.When i arrived home i found my dear Kenya with a very swollen elbow.He could not walk and looked in pain.When i look at his elbow i discover several tiny marks of tiny teeth!Yes, Ariel, the other baby iguana, bit him so badly my poor Kenya could not use his arm for 2 or 3 days!I found the same marks in one of his leg. Now, Ariel is in his cage and Kenya is a free roamer!
No way to keep more than one ig!
Ill recommend you to keep both in separated small cages while they are tiny babies.When they grow up you can decide if you will get rid of one of them or build 2 huge cages.If you decide to get rid of one you can choose the more wild and keep the more docile.By then you will know a little bit more about their characters.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
:First thanks for the ones that answered "the closet as a cage" post. Wife said "No", bummer. So she will have to help in building a cage for them.;-)
:Some of you are making me aware of not keeping 2 iguanas together.Well i have a lonely Bearded dragon and i figured my next species wouldn't be alone, so i got two iguanas.
:Worse is that i asked the girl at the petstore. I even asked if they could be sexed that small as i wanted to avoid 2 males. She said they would be fine since they were related.
:I guess since they are related, if they breed i might get some very weird looking baby lizards (Inbreds)!
:Anyway what shall i do at this point?

:1)Return a baby to the petstore.
:2)Try to trade one for another lizard online.
:3)Take a chance to raise them together and if trouble starts just have to build a second cage.
:4)Anybody got an iguana recipe? Kidding! Kidding!

:All right got to go there is a reptile program on the national geographic channel.

:Thanks again

:Patrick
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]