kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

need help with cage!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by jakeyjakers on April 26, 2003 at 10:09:37:

In Reply to: need help with cage! posted by subverted on April 26, 2003 at 03:21:27:

Hmmm... where to start...

Things to consider:
1. Space- iguana's need lots of it(they get 4-6 feet!)
2. Temper- can you handle an iguanas temper(sometimes they bite!)
3. Money- do you have the money it takes to care for an iguana? (Iguanas cost $15, but it can cost you hundreds to meet their needs)
4. Time- iguanas are not cats they require lots of attention(you can't fill their food bowl and then leave them alone.. well unless you want an unruly iguana)

Once you have those things out of the way, if you still want an iguana, here is a short list of things you need to know:

1. Food: NO LETTUCE.. use things like mustard, collard, or turnip greens, squash, beans, parsnip, turnip, pea pods, small amounts of fruit

2. Enclosure(cage): BIG! a cage around 4x3x3 would probably work to start with but you'd eventually need about 7x4x4 if possible. there are cage plans floating all over the net all you have to do is look for them

3. Temperature: Keep basking spot about 95ish.. rest of cage about 85ish during the day.. not below 75 at night if possible. A ceramic heating element(ask your pet store owner) helps a lot.

4. Lighting: Need UVB lights.. Reptisun is popular and at most pet stores.. also UVA basking lights are good to have.

5. Substrate(bedding): Forget about bark and all that crap. Go with newspaper, paper towel, or even a bath type towel works alright.

6. Taming: Spend as much time as you can with your iguana. The more time you spend together the better!

I hope that I haven't scared you away from having an iguana, but they are wonderful animals, and maybe if all of these things scare you, you might not want an iguana. Maybe try a gecko, bearded dragon, or even better, an anole, as a starter. I got an iguana as my first herp, and I had to learn the hard way how to care for it. If you haven't had any other herps before, and don't have a lot of money to spare, then I would recommend starting with a smaller and easier to care for herp. Often times people buy iguanas thinking that they are cool, only later to abandon them. Please don't add another iguana to the great number of cast aways. Overall, i hope that you can and want to care for an iguana. But if you do, do it the right way. Trust me your iguana will thank you with many years of its wonderful company.

If you have any questions, here's my email: Jakeyjakers@netscape.net

Jake Olsen

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]