After having six mercury vapor bulbs literally explode inside cages, I have completely reverted to flourescent tubes. I've had enough of my reptiles being showered with burning hot shards of glass.
I've used 2 brands - doesnt matter though, I've yet to have a mercury vapor bulb last longer than three months. In comparison, I've never had a flourescent tube explode, and never had on burn out before it needed to be replaced (6-8 months).
:I am building an 6'x5'x3' cage for a 1 year old iguana. I was debating between using mercury vapor bulbs or 48" UVB 5.0 tubes for the lighting. I was wondering if anyone had any positive/negative experience with mercury vapor bulbs. Thanks for the help. :