kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

That reminds me of a movie I saw once

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by girlzilla on April 17, 2003 at 09:16:22:

In Reply to: oh jeez posted by onenonlyjmeo on April 17, 2003 at 00:12:58:

Don't Be a Sucka in the Pet Store While Buying Herp Food in tha Hood.

Welcome to the club.

More specifics would be great- are there any injuries that you can see? How long is he? What is his coloring like? Has he pooped yet? Moving all limbs and such? Feisty and mean, or lethargic and docile (I'd be willing to bet it's the second.)

Go to http://www.anapsid.org, read Melissa Kaplan's "Iguanas for Dummies", and James Hatfield's "Ultimate Iguana Owner's Manual".

But for now... Quarantine him, and bring him to your herp vet. He probably has Metabolic Bone Disease. Get a fecal float and general checkup done on him. Besides a probably poor diet, and calcium deficiency, endoparasites can cause an iguana not to eat. I'd get a fecal smear done too, since you have other herps, and you don't want them getting infected with anything this little guy might have.
:(

No eating animal protein (sounds like you know that already), try adding yellow squashes like acorn and butternut, also parsnips, alfalfa for protein (NO sprouts, and look for tablets or tea made from the adult plant). Leafy greens like dandelion and turnip greens, rocket, spring onion (scallion) and watercress. Fruit should be a small percentage of the diet, but I know when Bud won't eat, I'll try anything. :(

Let's seeeee...

Daytime temps between 85-90 generally (except for basking spot), night temps a little lower, no visible light needed at night, UV light no more than 12 inches away from your ig... BIG BIG enclosure!!! High humidity. A bath every day (I do two, but most people do one, I think) will keep him/her clean, hydrated, and water is a natural trigger to the ig to defecate. Mine is tub-trained, doesn't go anywhere else. Well... most of the time!

I guess those are just the things I wish someone had told me in the first five minutes I had my ig. There are years and years worth of fun information to digest after that! :)

Any names you're thinking of? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? Do you have pictures? Good luck.

-Erin

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]