kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Well....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by Flavia Guimaraes on April 17, 2003 at 00:31:14:

In Reply to: A REALLY SICK posted by IGUANA JOE on April 16, 2003 at 22:47:14:

....if they do that with cocker spaniels and pintchers (cut the tails when they are born) why not with igs, right?

I think this is really sick.To cut an animal into pieces to fit your house!
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

...i:Iguanas are big. Cycluras are bulky, and greens are as long as the Turnpike. And Cteno's...tho medium-sized...can definately kick your @$$ even when blind-folded.

:Almost everyone, by now, knows that these are not aquarium reptiles. Big, often custom-made, enclosures are needed.

:Yet some people have really sick and twisted minds to solve their "blues" with space.

:EX:
:If an iguana is 6 feet long in total lenght, it is mandatory to have something AT LEAST 5-6' deep, 8'+ long and 7'+ high. Duh...

:An iguana's tail makes up about 200% the length of the animal's SVL. So a 6 footer might be about 2 feet long SVL and about 4 feet is tail. This is a gross estimation of course.

:This is also where the sickos come into place. I have actually heard of kids purposely "breaking" almost all of the iguanas' tails off!
:After all, what better way to transform a 6 footer into a 2.5 foot lizard? They probably do treat the wound, because if not it might very well result in expensive vet bills or the death of the animal. The tail will regrow but never as long, and so voila`! The incredible-shrinking-iguana is born!

:(Do keep in mind that I'm using 6 feet as an example, since 6' iguanas are not easy to come by in a store).

:It is mostly done to juveniles or young adults. That way their growth is supposedly "limited".

:The point to this twisted story is that once the animal has been "stunted" (the ever-so-famous "s" word) it is possible to invest in a smaller, cheaper enclosure. ...........in their mind.

:A friend of mine over-heard a couple of teens disucssing it.
:To me it makes no sense at all, for numerous reasons...........
:.....but I'll let you folks discuss them if you wish, as I'm too lazy to list them all. lol

:It is sad though, that there are people out there who these things to animals...exotic and domestic. And maybe it is an issue worth mentioning at some educational meetings, expos, and the like.

:After all, all it takes is one stupid person with a dumb idea to spread it like a virus right?

:Hope to chat with ya all on Friday!

:-IJ
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]