kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: IGNORE OTHER POST....READ THIS ONE!!! Oops, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by kamido on April 11, 2003 at 10:40:45:

In Reply to: IGNORE OTHER POST....READ THIS ONE!!! Oops, sorry!!!!!!!!!!! posted by IGUANA JOE on April 10, 2003 at 15:15:11:

Sometimes iguanas remind you that they still are wild animals. The other day I wasn't paying alot of attention while in Kam's cage and he got freaked out and bit me. (minor cause he's still a baby) I agree they are much different than dogs. My friend noted that if a dog had bite me people might say you need to put it down. That's a difference between domesticated animals and wild ones. We need to expect our exotic pets will defend themselves againist a perceived threat and act if the animals they are. When people ask about Kam I tell him how he might tail whip you and what my bite is from. I also tell him that he can be a sweet ig and loves riding around on your shoulders. I admittedly got him on an impulse. I was in the store to get fish. We decided we wanted a pet that you can interact with but didn't have to feed prey or insects to. (at the time boyfriend was vegatarian, I am too sqeamish, and can't have cats in apartment). However not all impulse buys end up bad. We got him because we saw him in a store. We hadn't read about iguanas or heard the cute stories. All we knew was that they get big. We educated ourselves and Kam is now a spoiled iguana who eats bettter and more regularly than I do. In fact he has a 5.5'x 4 x3.5' enclosure (which we have plans to build on to when he gets bigger) and he's just 20 inches STL. Kam has a vet who he is seeing for a checkup tomorrow and all his proper lights. If we had known what we quickly learned about iguanas we probably would not have gotten Kam. However who knows what the next impulse buyer would have bothered to learn or if they would keep him a fresh supply of collards and green beans? Having an iguana is expensive and they do have alot of needs but if you are an animal person you'll take care of your pet.
~ faith

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]